May 25, 2009

Utah Open Karate Tournament


A weekend or two ago I took eleven students to a karate tournament in Salt Lake City. We did well, as we usually do, which is something I am proud of because as dojos go, we don't spend a lot of time training for competition.

The part about it that has stayed with me over the past week is a conversation I had with a gentleman from the hosting dojo. He was a mature man, with glasses and a head full of pure white hair, and he was announcing the winners of each division as the rings concluded their events. I ended up standing near him while I watched a few of the boys compete in kumite (sparring). His name was Jim, and he took some interest in our students as he watched them compete.

"So, are you their sensei?" he asked once I moved out of his way (at 5'1", I don't get in very many people's way, but he was trying to sit down).

"Yeah, I teach the karate classes at their boarding school."

"Where are you from?"

"Cedar Ridge Academy, in Roosevelt."

"Oh, yeah, I remember you. You guys come every year, don't you?"

I nodded.

"Well, we sure appreciate you making it out every year. Your students are very well trained, very good control. I like watching them spar."

We talked more after that, observing the competitors in some of the other rings and discussing the value of teaching karate students to control their power so that they don't hurt their fellow karateka.

It is a great complement to receive from a veteran of another dojo that the students of Cedar Ridge Karate are well trained and exhibit good control. As much as the students might struggle with their need for instant gratification and getting their way, they demonstrated excellent respect and self-control at this tournament. Most of them learn self-control of some degree in karate, understanding the limits of thier own body and choosing to control their power. It is what we teach at Cedar Ridge Academy in karate--that self-discipline and self-control. It is validating to me as a sensei to see it carried outside of the dojo and into competition. It is even more validating to see it carried outside of the dojo and into every day life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Find some more
Karate Classes here