November 4, 2009

Cedar Ridge Shotokan Blackbelt Challenge and Karate Team

Hey, folks. We are gearing up this week to begin our Black Belt Challenge and put together a karate team to travel to more nearby tournaments and training.

We are ready to ramp up the karate program for Cedar Ridge Academy. Traditional martial arts is an excellent way to improve many things about the way a person functions, and, honestly, I think it's the most fun I ever have. The karate team will train additional hours some evenings and on the weekends and compete as often as we can find a tournament within a day's drive, mostly in Colorado and Utah.

I have several students interested. The team will consist of seven students and a couple of alternates who will fill in as needed or who will step in fully when one of the original team graduates and goes home. We are going to get started, but for at least the first year the team will be in the formative stage and we will be working out the bugs. What I really want from you is support as parents for this team since it will cost a little and require a lot of extra work on the part of the students (and myself, but I haven't considered karate 'work' for a long time). I am excited to open up our dojo to the bigger world of karate and have worked on making connections to enhance our training.

I will blog some more details as we go through 'tryouts' and I will be sending out an email with attachments to the parents of the students whom I select for the team.

Also stay posted for details about a great training opportunity we have coming up with Shihan Madani out of Louisville, Colorado. He is a seventh degree black belt and founder of the International Martial Arts Karate organization. You can check out his web site at www.imakarate.com. He will be at our academy December 3 and 4 and all students on campus are greatly encouraged to attend. The cost will be $50 and will include a t-shirt for participating. I will need a response from parents by November 20 to finalize the shirts.

Thanks!

No comments: