April 12, 2010

Graphix' Epic Battle

They say your first trip to Las Vegas you will never forget. "They" have been proven correct by my short 12-hour experience in Vegas. Although most of it was spent in the Flamingo Hotel, anxiously practicing my Kata and internally battling my nerves, I had a blast. My experience was rather unique to most of my fellow Cedar Ridge Karate Champions. This was my first Championship in which I competed in the 18 through 35 year old bracket. My first impression was a minor freak out at the size of my competitors. But then I centered myself and remembered my confidence that Christine always tells me I should probably have. Once I was called my nerves abandoned me and all I could think about was Kata. I competed with Heian Sandan and did not achieve a place. Surprisingly, after I got over the feeling of having the sun blocked out by a very large Samoan man who wants nothing more than to land a reverse punch near and around your face, I did really well in Kumite (sparring). I placed fourth after sparring 6 matches, winning 3 and loosing 3. I felt like a champion, standing next to the huge Australian guys with a 4th place metal around my neck, I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride in myself and the techniques I have learned from Rob, Christine, and Wes. Forever now, Mr. Sean Haggardy has agreed to call me none other than The Great Rocky Balboa.

No comments: